25 November, 2006

Doing my part to support the North Korean economy

This afternoon, I met up with Lina (girl I met Halloween weekend). I decided we would go ice skating over at one of the many malls that dot the Beijing streets. It was pretty funny to walk into the rink and see only Chinese people. Mostly little kids out there having a good time, there were also a lot of figure skaters out there practicing. I saw one little girl, likely 5 or 6, that could be an Olympic hopeful in another 10 years.

This was Lina's first time skating, she was actually pretty good, just a little nervous. I didn't show off my skills too much, didn't want to intimidate her ;-). I was followed around the rink by a little boy who was just learning how to skate. He was pretty funny, I tried to help him a little bit, but I think he was scared of me. Skating around definitely made me feel like playing hockey. I've got to find or get the rest of my needed equipment over here soon, maybe when my brother comes.

A couple friends of mine wanted to meet up for dinner. So, from the rink, it was on to a North Korean restaurant near my apartment. Ray has been talking about it for about a month now, so I figured I'd give it a shot. He's told me about the Saint Bernard he had there a few weeks ago, made me sick to my stomach. He promised he wouldn't order the dog this time around... though I am sitting here wondering about one of the dishes we had.

The atmosphere of the place is pretty much like a typical Chinese restaurant in Beijing, nothing special about it...other than the constant stares, the guys in leather coats keeping track of us & the waitresses wearing some weird North Korean costumes with Kim Jong Il pins on. All of the waitresses there were also very cute. I wonder if they're allowed to date Americans? Doubt it.

The restaurant is owned/run by the North Korean Embassy in Beijing. I am told the girls and other workers there commute back in forth in groups and cannot travel by themselves, must always be with at least one other North Korean.

It was definitely an interesting experience, will go back for sure. The food was really good; still wondering about that one dish though...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, you know that they took about 100 photos of you and are analyzing your photos back in Pyong Yang right now against the "Big Book of Americans" as we speak...

manninchina said...

You probably hit the nail on the head with that one! It was an interesting experience. Next time, I will try to get my friend who speaks Chinese to ask them some more "personal" questions, just to see the types of responses we get. He said they typically respond with "I don't understand." They speak Chinese...